FROM 12,900 ISK
Take your Iceland experience to the next level and join Adventure Vikings to see Iceland from the crystal clear waters of Silfra. The Silfra fissure is one of the top dive sites in the world, located inside the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Þingvellir (Thingvellir), which is only about 45 minutes from Reykjavik. Combining this underwater adventure with your visit to the Golden Circle of Iceland ensures that you really are experiencing the best Iceland has to offer.
Silfrá fissure is one of the top dive sites in the world and is located within the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Þingvellir National Park. The 60 metre deep Silfra fissure is a result of the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates pulling apart, which happens at around 2 centimetres a year. The fissure is filled with crystal clear glacial melt water from one of Iceland’s largest glacier, the Langjökull glacier. The water inside Silfra has been filtered through lava for decades – making the water exceptionally clear and even drinkable!
Be protected from the cold water of the fissure as you snorkel in the drysuit, which is constructed from layers of insulating fabric, keeping your body and clothes completely dry. No prior diving or snorkelling experience is needed to join this tour, the only requirement is that you can swim and are confident in water. The buoyancy of the dry suit keeps you on the surface of the water, easily keeping you afloat as you cruise along with the underwater current in the fissure. You will wear your own warm layers (we recommend thermal underwear) underneath the drysuit to make sure that you stay toasty warm all the while enjoying the amazing colours and visibility within the fissure.
Meet on location
Please note that this tour is a meet on location so you will need to self drive to Þingvellir, Silfra car park. Here is where you will find the adventure vikings van, along with the other snorkel and dive vans. Please park your car at “Thingvellir P5” and from here you walk back 400m along the road to where the snorkel and dive vans are located. You should be there 10 minutes before your scheduled tour time to meet your Adventure Vikings guide. Be sure to pay for parking at the P5 parking, by using the parking ticket machines. For GPS: 64°15’23.508″N 21°6’58.676″W.
Get in touch with Hidden Iceland if you would like to do a private tour including snorkelling.
Operates: All year, 2-3 times a day depending on the season
Duration: 2-3 hours
Number of people: Min 1 / Max 6
Minimum age: 14 years old
Level of difficulty: Easy to moderate
Price: 12,900 ISK ***3,000 ISK discount for bookings less than 24 hours before tour.
Included: Drysuit and all other snorkelling equipment, Þingvellir National Park fee, free photos for snorkelling, hot chocolate for snorkelling, English speaking guide
– Have read, accepted and signed the Silfra Snorkeling Medical Statement
– Also sign the liability release form when starting the tour
– Be able to swim and be physically fit
– Be at least 145cm (4’9) tall / and under 200cm (6’7) tall
– Be at least 45kg (99 lbs) / and less than 120kg (264 lbs)
– Be at least 14 years old
– Not be pregnant
– Not wear glasses, so if you have a prescription mask, please bring it with you. If not, we advise you to get contact lenses before you join us for snorkelling
What do I need to bring?
Our partners from Adventure Vikings provide you with all necessary gear for the snorkelling. However you will need to bring:
– Clothes to wear under the drysuit. We recommend long thermal underwear or a sweat suit and warm socks
– Warm clothes to wear prior and after the snorkelling
– Food to snack on
– Underwater Camera. If you don’t have an underwater camera you can rent a GoPro from Adventure Vikings for 6,900 ISK and you will receive an SD card with your footage to take home straight after your tour.